Apologies for the blogging hiatus. I have been rather busy on a couple of transactions, but as ever I've been keeping an eye on our beloved representatives at Westminster and the latest revelations regarding their expenses claims.
The charging of 3 Labour trough-swillers has led me to reflect on that classic old dictum – "power corrupts, but absolute power corrupts absolutely". My question – why do so many in the Labour party feel able to entirely ignore the criminal law? Consider the evidence:-
1. Wendy Alexander accepts campaign donation from foreign source. Despite her alleged intelligence, writes letter to donor at his non-UK address thanking him! Criminal offence committed. Never charged, for some reason.
2. Harriet Harman – a lawyer, in theory at least - crashes her car whilst speaking on her mobile, then leaves the scene of the accident shouting "you know where to find me". Two criminal offences committed.
3. Baroness Scotland – England's Attorney General, for pity's sake – employs an illegal immigrant, having failed to follow the appropriate verification procedures. Criminal offence.
4. Tony Blair – leads country into war regarded as illegal by every lawyer on the planet bar Lord Goldsmith. War crime.
5. Let's not forget Lord George Foulkes and his drunken assault on a policeman.
That's just off the top of my head….all this, whilst they pass ever more authoritarian and pointless laws which (natch) they expect the 'little people' to comply with, to the letter.
Clearly these dreadful people think they're above the law. I think they're beyond the pale. Roll on the General Election, where they will surely get their comeuppance.
R of S